Wednesday, September 10, 2008

You're not welcome here!!

A couple years ago, my bbf Kathy and her husband George came up from the Keys to spend a month up here in NJ. They brought along 2 of their 3 cats, Edie and Dusty. Reggae does not like other cats, but I was determined to make it work. The visitors would be kept in the guest room, and we'd try supervised introductions. If he'd have it.
Reggae wants to know what that stranger cat Edie is doing on that bed!! (All the while I'm saying noooo Reggae! while he's growling...)
Dusty gave Reggae a wide berth as she walked by. I remember waiting for the fur to fly.











Kathy and George took a trip up to New Hampshire while they were here, and took Dusty with them. Edie stayed with me. Edie and Dusty weren't the best of buds either, so the idea was that maybe Edie and Reggae would get along, and they would leave Edie here with me when they went back to the Keys. It was going "ok"...you can see relaxed Edie and watchful Reggae. I thought it might work, and I could have 2 kitties! When they came back from their trip, Kathy said that George was very sad that she wanted to leave Edie here forever! So, Dusty and Edie left for home with their folks. But the thing is...I guess Reggae really was not thrilled other cats were in HIS house. He became extremely agitated and territorial when neighbor cats would be around, even more so than before the visitors. Either from when he saw them from a window inside, or his former "friend" neighbor cat Katie would come anywhere near the gate. So much so that he'd often turn on me in frustration. (that is scary). End of story, Reggae will be an only cat in this life! And we're happy with that.

8 comments:

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Poor Reggae, no kitty companions for him! I guess that just means more petting and lap time for him :D

Bubblesknits said...

Reggae just doesn't want to share. ;-) He likes all the personal attention and love.

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of cats who have grown up in a single-cat household are like that. My sister brought her kitten over to visit (and you know how accepting kittens are of everything and everyone) ... well Henry wasn't having ANY of it! He was hissing and growling at her, and she was running around as happy as could be.

Anita said...

Reggae wants to be an only child. :)

Jasmine will accept dogs but not other cats... she grew up with a dog....

And my previous cat, Theo (he was a boy cat), loved babies of all kinds, human, kittens, puppies, didn't matter. He was a big ol love muffin though. :)

Donna Lee said...

I have introduced new cats into my household from time to time and there is always a long period of adjustment.In the end, they either learn to tolerate each other or become friends. Cats are funny creatures.

roxie said...

Reggae has a rather Old Testament view of life. "Thou shalt have no other cats before me."

vegasangelbrat said...

Aw you can't blame him, he likes being the only one spoiled!He wants mom all for himself!
Funny how some cats just dont like to be around others, we had quite a few years back.

smariek said...

Guess Reggae just doesn't want to share you with any other cats.