Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy WWKIP Day!

If you read my blog, WWKIP Day probably doesn't need an explanation. If you're unaware, go here for info. The previous two years, there really wasn't any local events planned, so I knit solitary in my back yard. That's public, right? ;-) This year, there were many. I kind of think Ravelry had a lot to do with spreading the world. I chose to spend my WWKIP day at What's Needling You? in Toms River. I got there around 12ish, and stayed until it was over, at 2. I didn't get an early enough start, so not nearly enough KIPing for me. I didn't sleep last night so by the time I got moving it was late. But anyway. It was VERY hot today, 92. There was a canopy tent set up in front of the shop for shade, and also we were able to go into the shop to cool off in the A/C if neccessary. Luckily, there was a breeze which helped. Deb, the LYS owner had snacks, sandwiches desserts and beverages set up inside for us. There wasn't a huge crowd KIPing but as people left, a couple more people would come by to shop and KIP. It was fun. I brought along a few projects, the lace ribbon scarf, koolhaas hat I just started, and my almost done montego bay scarf. Montego bay was most admired, as it's the first time any of the knitters their ever felt the luciousness of seasilk in person. One of the ladies has been trying to talk Deb into ordering some for the shop. I hope she does, because there isn't a LYS in my area that carries it. Amanda's "Bunch of Celery" yarn was fawned over too, which I am using for Lace Ribbon.
I really love the way the shop is decorated for each season. When I was there last, it was transitioning from winter to spring, and now, it's nearly summer. I thought this was too cute, beings that we're at the beach and all..."We knit summer shells down by the seashore"








You know that I couldn't leave the shop empty handed, right? I saw this pretty sample tank top, and just had to buy the pattern and the yarn for it. (yeah, yeah...more yarn) It's the Flirty Tank from Y2Knit. I like the sample knit better than the picture the pattern provides. The yarn I bought is Cottonwood from Fibra Natura, an organic cotton that's really soft and smooth. The color is a very very pale purple. This photo doesn't showthe color well, take my word, it's lovely. To be knit....sometime.






And that's not all. There is always a 50% sale bin, and although I could have got a couple more things, I chose the 2 single Malabrigos. For 1/2 price, they needed to come home with me. There is compassion knitting and a blog contest coming up soon, you know!
I also picked up some yarn for my pal in the Ravelry 9-5 multi-tasking Swap. And since I had a full discount card from the last time I was there, I got everything for 20% off, and filled more of the next card. ;-) So, it's justified. I said so.


2pm came too soon, WWKIP here was over. I would have liked to head north to another WWKIP in Red Bank, but the skys were darkening and T-storms were called for, so I headed home. Those storms didn't come 'til around 5, and even before the rain came, there was thunder and lightening and the power went out for a while. Came back on, and then the rain came down in buckets. We really needed it.
This is the steamy Saturday Sky before the storm...
I swear, there has been knitting going on. Just not pictured. I am almost finished with Montego Bay, I have to put the fringe on one end. I heart that scarf and seasilk yarn. I did finish my lace panel tank, but not in time for Tucson, but I was able to wear it to work this week when it was near 100 degrees. I started a koolhass hat for Sublynnminal Healing for June's project (fingers crossed to finish). I'm just past the ribbing and 1/2 of the lattice, but I do see the pattern emerging. But damn...switching to the larger needles from the ribbing to the lattice? ouch my hands still hurt. That's about it. But oh, yes, Tucson still needs to be blogged about, but I have to choose from 174 pics and resize them before that happens. It is still fresh in my mind, so it will be as if it was right after. Promise.
I hope you all had a wonderful week, and have a great weekend. I was incredibly busy at work this week, not getting finished until after 8 some nights, not before 7 any night. Crazy involved projects that took way longer than I imagined needed to be done "yesterday'. They really weren't that bad, but time consuming. I did not get a chance to meet up with Grace, hopefully she had a good vacation down here, and was able to beat the heat by the beach. Maybe next time she's down my work schedule will be lighter and we'll get together.
If you are fortunate to still have your Dad with you, enjoy tomorrow. For me, it's just another day. I do miss my Dad.

5 comments:

vegasangelbrat said...

I still miss our dads too, so your not alone!
Love the yarns you picked up and what a cute tank top!!
glad you had got to KIP! looked like it was fun!
Enjoy your sunday, can't wait to see your finished projects!

km said...

I didn't get to KIP yesterday, but I did on Friday night. I hope that counts. The stars aligned, and our kids were with grandparents...and we painted. It's been almost 4 years! We still have another coat today, and the baseboards...but I'm so excited. I'll blog about it soon.

My Santa Monica trip was so great. I'd love to be able to gather all my knitter friends from afar and visit Wildfiber together. I'm glad you liked the post.

How's the smell of the Sea Silk? I hope that it's the good kind of beachy scent. I really like that scarf too...and it's on my 'someday list'.

I miss my dad too today.....

Holly said...

I love the tank sweater, thanks for the link to a great project. I look forward to doing this one.

SissySees said...

What a pretty tank! I'm not queue-ing (how many vowels can run consecutively?) any more summer projects right now, because who knows what I'll be into next summer?! (A smaller size, for starters?)

Glad you had a great KIP day, and love the yarn library additions.

Jean in Georgia said...

Yeah, know what ya mean about missing your Dad... I miss mine every day.

{{hugs}}