Thursday, August 30, 2007

Noro...

...Sucks. Reggae's Kitty Pi is a Kitty Flat. The sides don't stay up at all, and it took FOUR cycles to felt down acceptably. I did make it a little bigger in diameter because Reggae is a big cat, but not the sides. I'm disappointed. The only redeeming quality of this yarn is the way it stripes. Bah! Oh well, Reggae will sleep on it anyway I bet, he likes to sleep on fleece jackets and wool blankets, and they are flat. I'll probably make another down the road in a better felting yarn. Right now, the boy is on mouse patrol in the basement. I called him up to see his bed and he wanted no part. Went back down to keep the house free of mouse. ;-)

*edit~I smooshed the top in, so the fuzzy top is now at the bottom so the sides hold better. A little bit ago, Reggae came upstairs and started to take a 'bath' as if he were going to sleep in the bed..but must have still had his mouse radar on because he went down to the basement again. So it's not a total loss. :-)

8 comments:

tina said...

I'm currently knitting in Noro. I love the colors but am slightly less than enchanted with the yarn. Not to say I wouldn't use it again but I'd think hard about it. I am sweatering with it, not felting. Sorry your project is a bit flat. My last felting project took me forever---- sometimes I think it is just the felting juju!

See you on Ravelry btw, I'm the Knitting Contessa and a Ravelry slacker to be sure!

vegasangelbrat said...

Thats the "Yuck" yarn..lol Thats what I didn't like about it either..it gets too "soft" after felting. Sorry its flat but I'll bet Reggae (after mousing) will love it anyways..Mom made it will love :)

Amanda said...

Sorry to hear about your bum project.. I always hate when that happens. All that time & effort and it isn't what you expected at all.

Well, I'm sure that the cat will love it just the same!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Try sprinkling a little cat nip on it.

At least the project wasn't a sweater or something big and extremely time consuming that is now sitting in somebody's closet collecting moths, right?

km said...

I've never kint or felted with Noro, but I'll be fure to keep all this in mind. The colors are great though. Not some purple and orange that clashes with your decor. This looks great with Reggae and the carpet.

Anonymous said...

I found that by folding the rim out the sides of my kitty pi were firm enough to stand up, similar to your solution. It didn't take Avery any time at all to learn to sleep in it. Maybe that's because I gave it a little squirt of catnip juice. I've taught her to use her cat door in the bedroom window screen and the ramp from the roof to the deck this way. I'm impatient, what can I say?

Anonymous said...

Aha! Now I see why. And yup :( Noro is just that way. IMO the best yarn for these kitty beds would be brown sheep - so nice and thick and felts up just the same!

Miss Me said...

tiger's cat bed sides lay down, too... okay - i didn't read the pattern quite right. but he loves it anyways, and i'm sure reggae will settle into his nicely, too. the colours just seem to suit him!