Sunday, August 12, 2007

I'm Hanging Up My Wings....

...And putting my halo back on the shelf until they're needed again for another exchange. Hopefully they won't be. That would mean that everyone completed their swap obligations as required. Wouldn't that be nice? I volunteered to be an "Angel" for the SFBE to help give one of the participants some Happy out of the exchange. I was thoroughly spoiled by my upstream person and wanted to pay it forward. She emailed me that she was quite pleased with the loot. :-) I was worried about the bag while I was knitting it, I had a few color choices in mind and decided on a rich teal color with some coordinating accent yarn. The yarn was Cascade Pastaza, which I've never used before, so I didn't know how it would felt. I saw a post from a knitter on the Bag-A-Holics Yahoo Group who said that was the yarn she used in a bag, so I emailed her to get her thoughts. She said she really liked it, so I went for it. It ended up felting OK...it shrunk more height-wise than witdth-wise, I expected the opposite, but it was fine. It was also the first time I knitted a pocket square and sewed it to the inside of the bag before felting, and I was very glad that it didn't end up felting to the body of the bag. It's perfect. Whew! The last bag I made I did the pocket separately, and it was a bitch sewing it on to the thick felt of the bag. I also put handles on the bag, I usually knit an I-Cord or a strap. I also turned up the temp on my hot water heater, previously it was very warm, but not hot, so I had to add a tea kettle full of boiling water to help it along. Now, it's really hot, so that helped.

2 comments:

vegasangelbrat said...

Great job Nancy!! Bag is beautiful and I love the color! Glad your "angel" bag was well received.

km said...

That purse is super cute. I like the handles...I've usually used I-cord and after getting the Interweave Felt issue, I want to order some handles. The world needs more angels like you! Hugs from California.