Sunday, April 22, 2007

Six Degrees of Yarn

So, I'm getting a home equity loan for tax purposes to pay for my renovations on my house so I don't have to use my settlement money. Long story short, turns out the private mortgage I had with the original owners, my former landlords i rented from before I bought, was never discharged when I paid it off in 2003! Apparently, there's a lien on it which came up in a title search. Mind you, I've refinanced my current mortgage twice already, but not through my new bank and this issue never came up before. Crap. I didn't know if those folks are still alive, let alone reachable. Although I do have the docs. to prove it was paid, I don't need More Stress. Anyway...the internet is a wonderful thing. I did a few searches... and bingo! Name, and the last address I remembered, which was where they moved shortly before I paid them in full. We'd always been on good terms, so I dialed the number and YAY! Mr. R. answered. He was totally surprised to hear from me and more surprised the lien wasn't discharged, that's going to be taken care of formally, ASAP. So, we chatted a bit a bit about what was going on in our lives, and I wondered why they didn't move to Montana as planned, turns out they retired and bought a little farm in central NJ and had a few sheep! My ears perked up, I asked if they were sheared (?) them for the wool, and does Mrs. R. spin? He laughed, and said no, but I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. (I don't spin but know about it) I told him since my accident I've been doing a lot of knitting. He said he had the sheep sheared, wool spun-it was expensive,he said-and a local group knit him a sweater, now they're waiting for them to finish his wife's sweater. Apparently, she doesn't knit or crochet, I thought she would. I said keep in touch, I'd like to come see the sheep some day. So, the six degrees of yarn...you never know when and how the subject will come up!
**photo is not their sheep, just here to keep it interesting. :-)

No comments: