Saturday, June 21, 2008

Quick! Look! A Bunny!

Today is the first full day of "Summer 2008". It didn't get nearly as hot and humid as it was supposed to, temps at home were in the upper 70's to low 80's. Very comfortable with a nice breeze. I was able to finally knit out on the deck and enjoy my new chair. Reggae enjoyed the shade it provided. He behaved remarkably well outside today, and spent 4 hours exploring and napping, and trying to catch the unsuspecting birds and squirrels. He didn't succeed, but not for lack of trying.
I've been "practicing" walking without a cane this week, and I am happy to say it's going well. One of the goals the Dr. I saw at Canyon Ranch wanted me to work towards is to stop relying on it. I'm still very unsteady and I limp, but I'm getting better each time I try. Now I just have to get busy and find a gym that has the equipment I need to use...and go there. I seriously considered putting in an ingound pool in my back yard. A pool is crucial for my therapy and I don't care for most indoor pools at the gyms I've been to. But decided against it. For one, my yard is so oddly shaped I'd have to give up a tree, and most of my deck, and for two, the money is something that I don't think I want to part with: the way work is going, who knows what I'll need. But on the flip side, my backyard neighbors practically BEG me to use their pool, and last night dropped off a key to their gates. I've promised I'll take them up on their offer. :-) Then, in the cold months, I will try to find and indoor pool that is pleasant to use. So, it's all good.
Tomorrow will bring a knit with beads class at Wooly Monmouth in Red Bank, which will be followed by a shopping trip at Whole Foods.
Weekends go by too fast....

8 comments:

vegasangelbrat said...

Oh wow is that cool cloud!! It does look like a bunny:)
Good for you doing without the cain, thats great news!! and I love the pic of Reggae, King of the backyard...lol

Donna Lee said...

Weekends do go by so quickly. Use the pool. The pt folks told me that was the best way to strengthen my ankle after I dislocated it. I have a pool but it was Dec when I hurt myself so that option was out. When I could use the pool, it made the healing go quicker and although 3 years later I still have 'ankle issues' it was easier to exercise it underwater. And yesterday was lovely, wasn't it?

rita said...

I love the cloud; one time while flying (in a plane) (I don't think I could manage on my own) there were lots of fists punching through nasty-looking storm clouds. Really cool.

Teena in Toronto said...

Happy summer!

Happy blogoversary!

Miss Me said...

cool cloud!
how did the bead knitting go? i took one class in it 5 years ago and it's been all about the beads ever since...

Jean in Georgia said...

Wow... Kewl neighbors who'll let you use their pool!!! Good luck with the therapy in it. I know that's some hard work.

Firefly Nights said...

I'm new here so I don't know why you use a cane, but I do also, from time to time until I get a knee replacement. I've had the same thoughts about a pool. Was so happy when our local hospital finally opened the ONLY indoor pool in our town, but it's such a hassle to go use it and I don't really care for the design, especially the walking area because I don't think it's deep enough. If I had a gazillion dollars I'd put a pool in my back yard just like you'd like to do, but the cost hasn't been worth it yet -- that and the fact that I'd have to go downstairs and go out the basement door to use it.

smariek said...

What a nice neighbor you have to let you use their pool. I'd hate to go through the trouble of putting in a pool.