Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's Officially Christmas in the City!

KM asked what traditions we have the get us ready for Christmas. I answered that it just kind of happens around me. I forgot this one "tradition"...the lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree! These days, I watch it on TV, but in the past I've seen it live. I used to work in Manhattan, and caught it on my way to Penn Station heading home, amongst a gazillion other people watching the lighting. I know a little known secret about the lighting...if you want to know, leave a comment. But if you watch it yearly, as I do, you'll never think of it the same again. Now, since the tree is lit, the Grinch was on earlier on another station, I am off to find out when my favorite Christmas special will air...Rudolph*!

*eta--December 4 CBS 8pm NY time

6 comments:

Grace said...

we used to take our children to the tree lighting, and spend the whole day standing in front of the tree waiting for it to be lit, afraid to move and loose our spot, one year it poured so hard we were drenched to the skin, another year we drove home from the city to our then home in Branchville NJ (sussex county) with the alternator light on in the car. Great memories of very happy times and as for Rudolph, Tom and I watched it on our honeymoon 34 years ago and we still make a point to catch it!!

Robin said...

I LOVE Rudolph...that's my favorite, always has been always will be! I did watch the Grinch last night...realized that it reminds me of someone I work with!

Dianne said...

Rudolph is a winner, but I think my "never-miss" Christmas program would have to be "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

km said...

I watched that last night too. I don't think I want to know the secret. I would have read it if it was there...but now I know I should just let it go.

vegasangelbrat said...

Use to catch it on TV a few times, but these past couple of years have missed it..Love Rudolph, Charlie Brown, Miracle on 34st, Wonderful Life...always catch them shows even though I'm not much for tv

NH Knitting Mama said...

I love to know secrets!

We love Charlie Brown Christmas...