Saturday, August 18, 2007

Eat More Veggies!!

I know I don't eat enough veggies. I only like salad, and as far as cooked veggies, well, I do love broccoli lightly steamed with lemon or maybe sometimes fresh green beans but that's about it. I need to eat more veggies. Monday, the butcher who was retired from the restaurant I work for came in to pay his COBRA health insurance payment. He brought in a bag of luscious tomatoes from his garden for me, as he always did when he worked here. I thought that was sweet. Juan grows yummy tomatoes. There's nothing like a garden fresh Jersey Tomato! We had BLTs a couple nights. Pepperidge Farms makes a whole grain white bread (blts have to be on white toast) and I bought some "natural" bacon. I usually use turkey bacon, but I wanted the taste I remember a BLT should taste like. Low fat Hellman's and some red-leaf lettuce made some Yum-O sandwiches. I wanted to make "something" with rest of the tomatoes because they were quickly ripening , but couldn't decide . Tomato/basil/fresh mozzarella in balsamic vinaigrette? No...Fresh salsa? Maybe...I know! Gazpacho! I've made some good stuff in the past. It's easy. Here's my recipe. I like it chunky, but you can chop smaller or blend if you'd rather.
Ingredients:
3 large ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped.
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped.
2 cloves of garlic, minced
juice of 1 lemon
Vegetable Juice (you know, the brand with the number that smacks your forehead?)(any flavor--I like lemon twist)
*I usually add some fresh cilantro but couldn't find it in the grocery last night.
salt and pepper to taste, your favorite hot sauce if desired
Directions:
Combine all veggies and garlic in a non-reactive bowl. (I use my vintage Pyrex bowl-stainless would be ok, DON'T use aluminum.)
Pour in lemon juice, stir.
Pour in enough Vegetable Juice just to cover, or more if you want it "soupy".
Add salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to blend flavors.
Enjoy---Eat more Veggies!!

5 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I will be making this dish. It sounds delicious.

vegasangelbrat said...

Oh you had to tease me saying that line..."there is nothing like a Jersey tomatoe" OMG I miss them...lol Is there such thing as a tomato swap..lol East one for me Nancy, please!

Miss Me said...

Yum! Since I'm just that little bit further north, mine are just ripening... Soon... Very soon. But - any ideas for King Kong zucchinis???

Jane said...

There is NOTHING like a jersey tomato! I used to eat tomato sandwiches all the time when I was growing up there. Also miss the pizza and hard rolls!