Saturday, November 11, 2006

I'm Dyeing my own cotton yarn!


I had a request from a friend to knit her a round cloth in fall colors to display with her fall decor. I said sure, no problem! Well, turns out that fall colored ombre cotton didn't exist, at least not as I wanted them to. I decided to attempt to dye my own. I bought a ball of ecru, and some Rit Dye in wine, orange, tan and dark green. I unwound the ball into a hank, wrapped each section in plastic bags with a rubber bank and dyed them separately. It's currently drying over the shower head. I'm about to take a blow dryer to it, I can't wait for it to be dry so I can wind it back into a ball and start knitting it! I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, kind of like a maple tree a little before peak. The wine color looks much pinker in this picture than it actually is, the other colors are very close. There are a few pale spots where the rubberbands covered the yarn, but that's why I chose ecru instead of stark white. Hopefully they will blend in knitting.

No comments: